Aggregated removal script for 3.6

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Apr 30 09:40:03 UTC 2003

Hi Marcus!

Marcus Denker <marcus at ira.uka.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 11:31:12AM +0100, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> > I agree. The idea I had was to eventually build some kind of "test
> > server" (still on my drawing board) and in any case I thought these
> > removals needed testing "in combination" and not just one by one. I
> > assume there is a risk that they somehow interact so that in the end
> > some weird combination simply doesn't work.
>
> Yes, could be. But this is true for all packages on SqueakMap, not
> only the new ones.

True. But the difference is that the net effect is that we break stuff.
:-)

> The only real solution would be something like classboxes... (calls
> additions can be made private your own package with classboxes).=20
>
> > But if we create the "verification" packages (those that test that an
> > installed package works) that you described earlier for these removals -
> > then perhaps that will be enough. The "dreaded" combination-bugs will
> > probably be found and dealt with during alpha.
> >
> Ok, we need simple test packages: There is one for the BaseImage Tests
> removal. Why wait?

I am not advocating to wait (I think you misunderstood my last post)!

> > > I suggest to start with the Tests-Removal package: This a) works
> > > for me (hehe! ;-) b) comes with tests (trivially) and c) does not
> > > interfere with any other project (e.g. KCP, MCP).
> >
> > Why not?

(this is probably where we misunderstood each other - my "Why not?" was
meant as "Sure, why not - let's go ahead!" - and not meant as... well, I
don't know - did you miss the "not" word? :-))

> Because this only removes SUnit-tests and some hand-written testing
> methods that have been rewritten as SUnit tests. If KCP/MCP provide
> tests, they will not go into the Image, but the BaseImage test packe
> instead...
>
> > If problems later arise we just fix them - *again* we are in alpha land
> > and we have the stream (that Andreas wants us to use goddarnit :-)).=20
> >=20
> > And if they don't work together we can back down and just add your
> > Tests-Removal at least. Sounds good?
> >=20
> I would like to look at them one-by-one. Add one, test it. Then
> look at the next one...=20

Fine by me. Daniel also wrote that. So, who does it? It's all about
harvesting.

Unfortunately I don't have the time right now and even if I had I should
be focusing on SM1.1 anyway.

Marcus - if you have the time, why don't you simply sign up as a
harvester and help out doing it? Perhaps you are already signed up. ;-)

I think all others agree with me on this (Doug?) - let's just get on
with the removals one by one.

regards, Göran