Well factored Objects

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Wed Apr 30 13:32:33 UTC 2003

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> "Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
> [SNIP of lots of interesting stuff]
>
>>* In general, what about people who have three names, but don't go
>>  by their first name.  (Like my sister-in-law Andrea Fiona Ferris,
>>  known as Fiona.)
>
> Like me! :-) My name is "Stig Göran Krampe" (I actually just changed my
> lastname to Krampe - which is my birtname - need to update my email
> address etc, phew).
>
> Anyway, Jimmie - don't get scared by Richard :-). Richards observations
> are all correct but don't overdo your solution from the start if you
> have no perceived need to. You know - YAGNI (You Aren't Gonna Need It)
> etc.

Oh, Richard doesn't scare me. :)

He raised valid issues on something I neither revealed domain
information nor my knowledge of.

I see people all of the time that when I ask for the *legal name* it
scares them.
What do you need that for?
Nobody knows them by that name.
Your not going to put that in the newspaper?

I know this app can start small and grow in features and abilities.
After all its replacing an MSWorks database. I crammed all I could into
that db and keep hitting my head on its limitations. Ugh.

I know there are better solutions than MSWorks. My boss won't buy them.
I have what I have because I sat down and wrote it. Started with an
Apple IIe db. :)  And all of it beats a typewriter. :)

Jimmie Houchin