[Q] doubleclickable and dragable morph: how?

tblanchard at mac.com tblanchard at mac.com
Wed Apr 30 19:29:00 UTC 2003

I would consider the handleXXX methods to be private.  In fact, I tried
to move them out of Brick (and failed - but I may try it again soon).
These methods do more than just let you add a hilight to your morph
when the mouse goes down on it.  They also do the event forwarding to
models/delegates.  So I think you should not override them as I
consider them to be part of the system level event dispatching
mechanism.

Example from morph:

handleMouseDown: anEvent
	"System level event handling."
	anEvent wasHandled ifTrue:[^self]. "not interested"
	anEvent hand removePendingBalloonFor: self.
	anEvent hand removePendingHaloFor: self.
	anEvent wasHandled: true.
	anEvent controlKeyPressed ifTrue:[^self invokeMetaMenu: anEvent].
	"Make me modal during mouse transitions"
	anEvent hand newMouseFocus: self event: anEvent.
	anEvent blueButtonChanged ifTrue:[^self blueButtonDown: anEvent].
	(self allowsGestureStart: anEvent)
		ifTrue: [^ self gestureStart: anEvent].
	self mouseDown: anEvent.
	anEvent hand removeHaloFromClick: anEvent on: self.
	(self handlesMouseStillDown: anEvent) ifTrue:[
		self startStepping: #handleMouseStillDown:
			at: Time millisecondClockValue + self mouseStillDownThreshold
			arguments: {anEvent copy resetHandlerFields}
			stepTime: 1].

Notice that if you just override this method without calling super,
balloons will stay open, menus will stop working, and mouseStillDown
tracking won't work.  Instead you want to implement mouseDown: to add
your behavior.