[ANN] [ENH] FillInTheBlankMorph Look

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Apr 30 23:34:24 UTC 2003

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 diegogomezdeck at consultar.com wrote:

> On the other side, if we want to change the "notifiers" only per image (or
> per project) a global named Notifier (or something like that) holding an
> implementation of AbstractNofifier (MorphicNotifier, MVCNotifier,
> StOutNotifier, etc) is enough and more clear to see.
>
> These notifier classes will answer to #notify:, #confirm:,
> #confirm:options:, etc type of messages.

No, per project/image is not enough.  One image can be used
simultaneously from multiple UIs at the same time.  For example, I'm often
using at least two of these at once:

- REPL command line
- Web UI
- Morphic UI

Having the Web or REPL UI lock up because Morphic is presenting a
FillInTheBlankMorph is really annoying.

The only way to do it right is per process, and the cleanest way to do
that is probably to do exactly what Tim suggests, which is to have a
Notification subclass signalled for each type of user interaction -
#inform:, #confirm:, progress, etc.

I actually think we should go further with this, and have at least
Sensor and Display be per process as well.  Combined with Colin's
native-Squeak VNC server, for example, this could lead to some very cool
possibilities.

Avi