Critical section lockup -djb

Derek Brans brans at nerdonawire.com
Sat Aug 2 00:07:32 UTC 2003

I have a resource that I only want to be used by one process at a time.  I've created a ResourceManager class to encapsulate this policy.

ResourceManager>>doWithResource: aOneArgumentBlock
    mutexSemaphore critical: [aOneArgumentBlock value: myResource]

Only one process can be using the resource "myResource" at a time.  Do I have that right?

The problem I have is that if I leave my program running for a few days, I invariably find it hung, waiting to execute a critical section.  I don't see any debugger window popping up, so no error was encoutered.  Does that mean that one of my blocks that I'm passing in is never finishing?

Thank you

Derek Brans
Nerd on a Wire
Web design that's anything but square