Extending FileList with CrLf

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Sat Aug 2 21:13:38 UTC 2003

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> That's the thing - I don't agree that you really want to define any such
> policy across all applications, by fiat.

It isn't by fiat, its merely a change to default behaviour on a well
discussed subject with both sides expressing their views. From that
understanding a consensus opinion has been formed with only (to my
recollection) one dissenting opinion expressed. That's far from fiat.

_And_ its only for applications which choose to use the _default_
behaviour. Those applications which do not choose (for whatever reason)
to use the default behaviour are free to do so.

This is a well thought out and well thought of (by most, who expressed
an opinion) default behaviour. We understand what you are saying. There
just happens to be a disagreement. That is unfortunate, but it would be
more unfortunate if in situations like this if the Squeak community were
to become immobilized.

Today you're the dissenter, tommorow someone else. No one need get
offended or upset. Its the way it works.

Defaults aren't permanent. As long as the change is well thought out,
consequences understood and a majority agree, it is not a heinous thing
to change one. Sometimes it would be heinous to not change one.

And by its nature changing a default changes everything that uses the
default. Its not a fiat, its a design decision.

Jimmie Houchin