Extending FileList with CrLf

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Aug 4 06:07:31 UTC 2003

Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca> is writing in support of
the "dumb"-defaults-for-text-streams idea.

Off-hand, I can't think of *any* use I've ever had for reading
text files where I wouldn't want the "smart" defaults.

So much is this so that I use my own C library which does exactly this.

Any time I care about what exactly the bytes are, or indeed whether
line terminator bytes as such even exist, it's a binary file.

As earlier noted, the ANSI standard appears to require a Smalltalk
where line ends are CR+LF to report the CR and LF separately if
you use #next, but to treat them as one thing if you use #nextLine.