Morphic redraws completely hidden objects.

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Aug 5 18:29:34 UTC 2003

I was looking at how Morphic did drawing a week back and noticed
something odd.
If you bring up Tetris and start a game, then cover the tetris board
with some other mophic object
why the Tetris player objects are updated even if they are invisible
(completely hidden). In this
case Morphic redraws the foreground object.

Although there is no visual indication of this, I'd expect the resource
consumption for doing the
drawing in time & cpu time isn't minimal. Or is it smaller than the
time needed to figure out if a redraw
should happen?

Thus someone might want to look at why completely hidden objects get
redrawn.

PS Apple has a nice tool to expose window drawing activity in the
Quartz layer which exposed this issue.

===