[BUG] Monticello problem while mucking with Parser

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Aug 6 01:37:19 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 11:11  AM, Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus wrote:

> I made a Monticello package containing the attached .st file, which
> includes the parser changes for the matrix syntax tweaks that Andreas
> introduced in Croquet.  The .st file files in fine, but if you make a
> new monticello package including the changes, file it out as a .mcv,
> and try to load it into a new image, the fit hits the shan.
>
> The problem is that the package modifies the method
> Parser>>messagePart:repeat:, which is called again after it is
> modified, but before the new methods that it calls are added to the
> image.
>
> I'm not too concerned; since I'm not actively hacking it and don't
> need versioning, I can just load the .st file once and forget about
> it.  Just thought you might like to know.

Thanks for the heads up, I definitely want to hear about these issues.

Can you tell me how the .st file was produced? It appears that .st
format is vulnerable to this type of problem as well, but this
particular one happens not to trigger it. Was it arranged that way on
purpose?

As for Monticello, Avi and I have plans to make snapshot loading more
atomic, in order to avoid just these sorts of issues. It looks like it
will be fairly tricky, though, so it's hard to say when it will be
done. If any one else gets bitten by this, do let me know.

Colin