[Q]Use of recycleMe pages, modal alerts, Upbrade script behavior

Thomas A Petersen tpeterse at csc.com
Wed Aug 6 13:46:35 UTC 2003

Greetings fellow Squeakers!

I've been doing various things with Squeak for several years since about
Squeak 2.8.  It was wonderful then and just keeps getting better.  I've
been able to use Squeak to parse lists, experiment with modes of
simulation, and just have fun.

I finally got to see one of Alan Kay's presentations that made the use of
Etoys and Squeak as a killer presentation tool seem so obvious.  I am
currently using Jacaranda and Connectors to diagram some work flows and
class trees for my "day job".

Two Questions:

1.  I have noticed a bunch of recycleMe pages on the swiki.  Can we reuse
them for documentation or "Who's who" pages?  I would like to eventually
donate some short examples of useful things that don't appear to be
anywhere on the swiki.

2.  I know there is a way to put up a simple modal alert using a menu call?
All I want to do is put up an alert effectively with an OK button for the
user to click.

A suggestion:

I updated my beta image to 5387 from the posted 5373 baseline on my Win2K
system.  I set a subdirectory to my Squeak directory as the download
destination.  Then I ran the upgrade to the full image.

I received several deprecation warnings and told it to proceed each time.
Everything loaded OK.  If the warnings are going to stay in the final
upgrade to full process, you might want to warn the user at the start that
they are coming.  This should make it more comfortable to less experienced
newbies.

I also noticed that only the upgrade script landed in the specified
directory.  All of the other subparts of the upgrade script landed in my
main Squeak directory.  Is this the intended behavior?

Squeak is seriously cool.
Thanks in advance.
tap