GUI output testing

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Aug 7 01:08:57 UTC 2003

I wrote about a Morph->XML dumper.
goran.krampe at bluefish.se replied:
	Eh... Didn't Michael Rueger demo this kind of stuff at OOPSLA?
	Where did that code end up?  Michael?  I vaguely remember an
	MPEG player morph being exported and reloaded as XML.

Note that there are two very different goals here.
I want something that dumps a description with *just enough* detail
to make diff()ing two XML files a reasonable way to compare a morphic
display before and after a program modification.

Michael Rueger's demo, from the description, saves enough information
to *reload* a Morph, which from my point of view is far too much.

Most of the things I want to do to my little package involve reducing
the amount of information dumped.

Dumping in XML rather than in some binary format or some Lisp-like format,
or even OIF, makes sense precisely because there are tools that can use
XPath to concisely specify what information should be extracted from a
dump.  Not that XPath is my favourite query language; I have lots of nasty
things to say about it, not least the observed extremely high error rate
when people try to use it, and I'm talking about computing experts, not
end users.  However, it exists, and who knows, I might invent something worse.

Going back, there was a lot of work done for StableSqueak, including
saving and loading GUIs using XML.  Whatever happened to all that stuff,
anyway?