Anyone ever used PrintJobPlugin?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Aug 7 22:02:26 UTC 2003

Hi,

> Of course. I was thinking floats, but fixed point integers could do
> nicely, too (perhaps 16.16? That would give as +-100 meters
> range with better than micrometer resolution).

That'd be fine with me.

> It's just that I think giving people a fixed reference is
> important, and reusing the PS definition is better
> than inventing our own.

Yes, I agree (and that's what I wanted to have anyway ;) I just wanted to
make sure we have a reasonable accuracy builtin.

> > What's a PPD?
>
> A PostScript Printer Description file. This is the x-platform
> standard for accessing special features of printers. It basically
> contains a UI spec, constraints for enabling options, and PostScript
> snippets to be inserted in a PS file depending on which options were
> chosen.

Hm ... of course that wouldn't work for GDI/PCL printers.

> The spec is here:
>
> http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/pdfs/tn/5003.PPD_Spec_v4.3.pdf
>
> It's used on MacOS X and Linux (via CUPS, Common UNIX Printing System),
> and on Windows if you use Adobe's PostScript printer driver.

Just looked at it
(http://www.adobe.com/products/printerdrivers/systemreqs.html)

   System Requirements:
     . A printer that includes AdobeR PostScriptR Level 2 or PostScript 3T
     . A PostScript Printer Description (PPD) file for your printer

Yuck! So you need both a Postscript printer as well as a PPD _before_ you
can use it. Not exactly likely to be present in some Windows installation.

Cheers,
  - Andreas