Squat progress 7 August 2003: method IDs

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Thu Aug 7 22:56:46 UTC 2003

Hi--

	I now have two additional bytes in the trailer of each compiled method;
I'm using one bit for the method activation mark I mentioned previously
(which supports method unloading), and fifteen bits for an ID.

	Using method IDs, I plan to compose behavior modules. The first one
will contain the minimal behavior necessary to support compositing onto
the display from object memory (the equivalent of BitBlt). It'll also be
able to unload itself, returning the system to its previous smaller
state. There will also be support for prerequisite modules.

	A module will be delivered over a network connection, via an
interactive protocol. When updating, for each method, a system will have
the option of receiving source code or compiled code, or of simply
installing the version corresponding to the correct ID, if it already
has local access to it somehow (e.g., from the change log).

-C

--
Craig Latta
http://netjam.org/resume