Monticello Qs

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Aug 7 23:06:42 UTC 2003

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> I loaded the RB from SM. Fixed various KCP issues. Then loaded MC, then
> loaded the previous RB .mcv. I got warned about spurious conflicts,
> proceeded.

Oh, ok.  This means that the two versions didn't actually share a common
ancestor (which makes sense, since it sounds like you didn't start from an
.mcv file at all).  Merging in this case is going to be a bit odd.  What
it does is treats the empty package as the common ancestor - that is, it
pretends that these two versions (the one in your image and the one you're
merging) both *independently* made all of the changes necessary to bring
the empty package to their current state - and then tries to merge them.
Since, compared to the empty package, they have both made a lot of
extremely similar changes, you're bound to get some odd conflicts...
however, why class extensions in particular would be singled out I have no
idea.

What you actually want is a way of just pointing to a .mcv made from the
SM version and saying "this is an ancestor of the code that's in the
image".  That would make future merges work a lot better.  There's no UI
for doing this currently, although it would be doable programmatically...