[BUG] BFAV/KCP archive problem

Brent Vukmer bvukmer at blackboard.com
Fri Aug 8 03:04:59 UTC 2003

Er.. Hi, Tim.  The KCP Archive Viewer was an *experiment* in loading changesets from the KCP Swiki page.  I don't think I made the experimental nature clear; sorry my lab experiment blew up in your face :)

My bad for not testing more carefully, and for not making clear that the "Swiki Archive viewing" functionality was very immature.

Since the KCP Viewer is just loading changeset files, not mail-message files,
it makes sense that the timeSent could be nil...

Regarding the KCP Viewer's failure to load a bunch of posts; that's because the KCP folks decided at some point to upload their changesets to a different URL.  I didn't realize this, and the BFAV depends on having one well-known URL
for the archive it's viewing, so...

The BFAV originally modelled the current harvesting process very closely.  Trying to extend it to also model the project-Swiki-page process makes the BFAV packages more complicated, increases the amount of QA I Should Be Doing, etc. Frankly I just don't know if it's needed.  I may just remove the functionality.  Is anybody else using the KCP Viewer?  Any votes for keeping it?

Regarding the BFAV regularly failing to load posts from the swiki.gsug.org/sqfixes URL -- I know that this is an issue; it seems to be mainly due to dropped connections on the server's end.  I'm working with Ken Causey and other folks to set up Bug Fixes Archive II, which will use Apache to serve static files, and which should be much better at handling lots of connections.