[ANN] Whisker++ v2 on SqueakMap

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Aug 8 17:51:47 UTC 2003

rrobbes wrote:

> Hi all,
> I released a new version of Whisker++, which actually works
> (I know that one person tried the previous version and it didn't
> work very well... I had the same problem as Alexandre mentionned
> today, which is that DVS don't handle well additions of instance
> variables
> ...).
> This version adds also a bit of the refactoring items
> to whisker as it adds the selection items (the ones
> that appears when you select some code and click
> the yellow button).

Hi Romain.  Glad to see that someone is extending the functionality of
Whisker. :-)

One minor thing I ran into while filing in your changes is that it only
lists Whisker and BrowseUnit as prerequisites, but it appears to also
need the Refactoring Browser package (there are references to classes
Refactoring and RBParser).  Which makes sense because you talk about
adding refactoring items to menus... but you should probably list it as
another prerequisite.

> It also fixes a few things in whisker. It mainly
> enables whisker to refresh the method panes when
> they are modified somewhere else, which it didn't do before.

Cool!  I had originally thought I might have automatic refreshing for
the class/category hierarchies too, but I think performance might be a
problem, especially with the large Class Hierarchy on the lower left...
so I just have the "update" menu items for those.  But the automatic
refreshing works nicely with individual methods.

Maybe I could get that particular fix from you and incorporate it into
the regular Whisker package.  The other RefactoringBrowser/BrowseUnit
stuff kind of makes sense to keep in your separate package.

(Hmm, another problem I just noticed with your package loaded is that
the vertical ordering of the methods isn't sorted by the selections in
the class pane anymore.)

> There is still a problem, which is that whisker has
> a lot of code which is deprecated by KCP (like in senders
> and implementors). I don't know if Doug is aware of that...

Yep, I'm aware of that, and I started to clean that up, but I'm waiting
for 3.6gamma before I finish the cleanup and release a 3.6 version of
Whisker.  I have a directory of changesets with that cleanup plus some
bug fixes submitted by other people here:

http://www.mindspring.com/~dway/smalltalk/whiskerpatches/

I'll include all this stuff in the new version for 3.6.

- Doug