SARInstaller for both 3.4/3.6 in updated image

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Sun Aug 10 08:56:51 UTC 2003

If we make updates use SM to update in-image packages, we must rely on
map contents. But we need to make sure that it is up to date, and that
we get not errors in the process.

BTW, updates are a relatively very good time to do loadUpdates, since
one is quite likely to be online when running them (someone running
updates from disk can probably figure out whats going on and fix it).

A related issue - I've sworn to myself that I would not request any more
SM features until 1.1 is out. But I'm weak, so here goes anyway. Anyway,
though important, I think this feature should wait for 1.1.1.

I think it is important that SM not bring up spurious exceptions when
doing stuff, especially if we're going to rely on it to do various kinds
of updates. Therefore SM should implement the following two invariants -
* If it is connected to the net, it should bring up no spurious
exceptions, because it does loadUpdates and retries the failing action
before raising one.
* If not connected to the net it can't know the real state of the global
map, but it should act as if some version of the map it has is
definitive. Either the one represented by the log files, or the one
represented in the image (and which dominates should be made clear). It
should never complain that things are out of synch, because the user
simply doesn't care.

Daniel