[VM][UNIX][CVS] Latest updates / FFI / ephemerons

Alexander Lazarević Alexander at Lazarevic.de
Sun Aug 10 11:31:54 UTC 2003

Am Freitag, 8. August 2003 18:54 schrieb Tim Rowledge:
> Ian has been uploading his latest bits to SF over the last couple
> of days so  it might all be up to date by now.

I just did an update and now everything compiles and runs out of the box. A
great convinience improvement! :) Thanks Ian.
The resulting vm is labled now as Squeak3.6beta. The DOUBLE_WORD_ORDER [1]
problem and the missing linker option -lGL [2] are fixed. The recent
x11SelectionFix [3] from Ned is not in there yet.

Beginning with 3.5 an alternative mechanism is available to dynamically
construct callouts to C code at runtime for some platforms [4]. These
apicalls should work without libffi using hardware specific code. Although
the tests in SqueakFFIPrims all pass sucessfully and the right assembler file
and support/test code gets compiled and linked into the vm, the image side
tests all fail (FFITester¹, X11). This happend with 3.5-1devel too, so this
bug didn't came with the latest updates.

While I was at it I loaded the new ephemerons [5] package from SM and the vm
builds fine and all the tests pass except the one [6] John mentioned.

The detailed list of unix vm changes is at [7].

Alex

¹ Yes, I checked that ffi-test.o gets build and linked

[1]http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-April/056857.html
[2]http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-August/063854.html
[3]http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-August/063898.html
[4]http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/squeak/squeak/platforms/unix/plugins/SqueakFFIPrims/00README?rev=1.3
[5]http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-August/064411.html
[6]http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-August/064435.html
[7]http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/squeak/squeak/platforms/unix/ChangeLog?rev=1.7
--
Sommerpause: "Sommerpause heißt bei uns: man muss zum Grillen und Biertrinken
nicht mehr ins Büro fahren." -- Harald Schmidt