Moving BFAV traffic off of squeak-dev short-term (was Re: BFAV email prefix?)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Aug 12 05:15:45 UTC 2003

I've been feeling a bit guilty about spamming the list with all of
these [update - 36xx] etc. messages, so I'm wondering if we should
consider moving the BFAV traffic to a different list relatively soon.

Everything Brent mentions below sounds good, but perhaps we could move
traffic off the list sooner by doing a few simple steps first:

1. Have Cees set up another mailing list called something like
squeak-bugs or squeak-harvesting.  He's already set up a bunch of lists
so I believe this is simple to do.  (It would need to accept posts from
anyone whether subscribed or not, although perhaps it could reject spam
by requiring a specific string to be present in the subject or body.)

2. Have Bert change the sqfixes (and possibly sqbugs) archive to read
the new squeak-bugs list.  This would still not be a permanent
solution... it would eventually be replaced with something like the Bug
Fix Archive Server which Brent describes.  But it would be simple to
switch right away.

3. Switch the "mail to list" feature in the image to post to
squeak-bugs.  (I think we were also talking about figuring out which
(if any) steps of the harvesting process should still be posted to
squeak-dev... we may still want to have the initial [FIX]/[ENH] posts
show up on both lists for example.)

(and 4. Switch the BFAV to also post to squeak-bugs of course)

I believe this is all we'd need to do.  These steps are all quite
simple... should we try to do this soon, say, right near the beginning
of 3.7alpha in a couple of weeks?

- Doug