Moving BFAV traffic off of squeak-dev short-term (was Re: BFAV email prefix?)

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Tue Aug 12 10:20:44 UTC 2003

A few points:
A. It is important to do more than keep the wider community informed. A
large consideration is that we should make the process easy to join.
Currently, the barriers are very low. You see everything happen in real
time, just answer an email to participate. We should keep them as low as
possible.
B. While the news bot might do the trick (a good idea IMO), the ordering
matters - move the traffic *after* the news bot is online.
C. Sometimes an [ENH] or [FIX] actually stands for a larger issue, which
should be discussed generally, not just as part of the harvest process.
Being able to send it publically allows this to happen easily.
D. The harvest list won't be as public as the squeak list unless we
automatically enroll anyone that joins the squeak list into both.

I agree completely that we're currently seeing too much of the traffic
in squeak-dev, but there are reasons to do the scale-back gradually.

Daniel