[BUG]? Upgrade to full image script behavior

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Aug 12 18:37:38 UTC 2003

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

>Doug, July 26th you wrote that PWS, B3D and VMMaker caused load trouble.
>Does anyone know whether they load clean now?

I just tried the "upgrade to full" package, and they all seem to load
cleanly now.  Hooray!  (I think most of this is due to Ned fixing the
accidentally removed method in the latest version of the SARInstaller.)

Well, relatively cleanly, anyway... a couple of packages (Games and
Balloon3D) bring up a prompt about wanting to install DVS, which I said
"no" to each time.  Also, one package (Games) requires that you enter
your initials for some reason.  But other than that, things seem to load
smoothly.

As to whether the packages actually work, I'm not sure... there may be
deprecation warnings all over the place when you run things. ;-)

>I think we should load the
>stuff that works soon, to make use of the beta period.

I've been wondering about how to handle this... I know you posted about
this awhile ago. (sorry for not responding sooner)

I'm not sure we want to add all of the packages again in the "mainline"
update stream, since we've gone through all of the trouble to remove
them in the first place.  (I think Goran especially would not be crazy
about this idea. ;-) )  And then I guess we would have to remove them
yet again when 3.7alpha started, which seems sort of silly.  Also, I'm
not sure if the old removal scripts from early 3.6alpha will still work
in 3.7alpha, although they would probably mostly work.

However, I do agree with you that we have a problem with these removed
packages not being tested much.

I'm a little hesitant about this, but one thing we could try is creating
a dead-end update stream fork for the 3.6 Full release, now.  This would
set the SystemVersion current name to something like FullSqueak3.6beta
instead of Squeak3.6beta.  The update stream machinery can handle this
as a forked stream separate from the others, just like 3.7alpha can be
forked from 3.6gamma.  Then we could add all of the Full packages to the
Full update stream, and this Full stream would continue to become the
3.6gamma and then 3.6 final Full release, and would end there.  The
mainline (Basic) 3.6beta stream would continue on to become the 3.7alpha
stream, and also the 3.6 final Basic release.

A prompt would need to come up when the fork happens, of course, which
would describe the two options, hopefully encouraging some people to try
the Full fork if they like to work within the traditional full
multimedia image, even though it's a dead-end.

This would be some extra work for me... for example I would have to post
3.6beta bugfixes to both streams.  That's not particularly difficult,
though, and the bugfixes should be the same for both streams.  (The
bugfixes would not overlap anything in the added packages.)  Also we
could post period updates to the Full stream to load the latest packages
from SqueakMap.  (In this case I think it probably is okay for the Full
stream to directly update from SM.)

How does this sound?

- Doug