iPAQ 2215 (was RE: Benchmarks (was Re: XScaled Squeak))

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Tue Aug 12 19:05:43 UTC 2003

Hi Guys,

        Just to add another data point, the LCD on my Psion 5MX went
"flakey" about two weeks ago, and since they're getting a bit hard
to find I decided to give an iPaq a try.  I love the Psions, but
I've never had one last more than about 2 years - not exactly the
most durable handhelds. ).

        So, I ran out to the local Staples and waffled for about an
hour (feeling guilty on spending the money, even though my wife
gave her approval) and finally decided to try the 1940.  Turns out
all they had in stock was the 2215, so I got one.

        I have to say that as a PDA, PocketPC is total crap compared
to Psion's 'Agenda' application, and the alarms aren't anywhere near
loud enough to be heard with the iPaq in a pocket while driving.
I'm still thinking about checking out the Sony UX-50 and the Zaurus
SL-C760 as well.  I haven't totally given up on Psion yet, but I
hate to spend another $500 (US) for a machine that will invariably
be a useless piece of junk in two years.  I've had two S5s and a 5mx
since they came out, and all three have ended the same way: flakey
or dead LCD.

        This weekend I decided to see how things have improved for
Squeak on handhelds since my Casio E-105. Signs are encouraging -
The iPaq 2215 gave:

        18233618 bytecodes/sec; 635242 sends/sec

which is consistent with the numbers Yoshiki reported for the
SL-C750.  This was using the 'TinyImage' and
'SqueakVM-alpha6-030206-PPC2002-ARM.exe' from Yoshiki's web site.

        I had some troubles with this though.  As soon as I try to
resize the workspace, the cursor gets stuck in 'resize mode' with
the yellow dot and I can't 'click' (i.e. screen tap) anywhere to
get out of this mode.

        This VM also doesn't seem to play too nice with "Windows
Mobile 2003" either.  I had to reset the iPaq several times while
I was playing around with this because I couldn't just 'quit' with the
cursor stuck in that 'resize mode', and there didn't seem to be any way
put Squeak in the 'background' and run other PocketPC apps.

        So, does anyone have a nice .zip with image+changes+
sources+vm suitable for the iPaq?

                                        -Dean