[VM][UNIX][CVS] Duplicate work

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed Aug 13 10:49:21 UTC 2003

Alexander Lazarevic' wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 13. August 2003 09:56 schrieb Bert Freudenberg:
>
>>I sent a fix similar to this to Ian a while a go. Croquet was broken
>>because it could not find the OpenGL library. Didn't that make it into
>>the sources? Anyway, see my attachment, which preserves the stat() call.
>

> Let me quote[1] what Stephane said a while ago on a complete different topic.
>
> "Sorry I'm really pissed of by some of the emails I read"
>
> There are 22 developers registered at sourceforge, who have write access to
> the cvs repository. Why are patches sent to vm maintainers off list? Why
> aren't they applied directly to the cvs sources where they belong to?

Because until a week ago the Unix SF sources were not officially
approved as a valid code repository by the platform maintainer.

 > So they
> would be visible for everybody and the vm maintainers could use tags or
> whatever to mark the last milestone approved by them. The current situation
> is, that patches get sent directly to the vm maintainer and then uploads to
> cvs follow sooner or later. With that scheme no cvs repository is necessary,
> just a ftp server the vm maintainer could do uploads to would be good enough.

True. In this special case I had a private conversation with some guys
trying to getting Croquet up under Linux. After I identified the problem
I fixed it and sent them a patch. Because this was in the non-released
3.5alpha sources I sent it to Ian. Maybe I should have sent it to the
list, too. How much interest is there really in hacking on the Linux VM?

> Ok, I just wish cvs could be brought to better use and with this the vm
> development process would be more ... ah ... open?

Me too. Hopefully after the new check-ins by Ian it will.

-- Bert