[BUG]Lots of unimplemented methods in 3.6#5373

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Thu Aug 14 17:50:19 UTC 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:24:29 +0200 Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
>I do not know that this was a framework. Where is the doc :)?

In the preamble to change set 2022...
"Change Set:		1040LowSpace-go
Date:			30 March 2000
Author:			Georg Gollmann

The current LowSpaceWatcher just alerts the user. This is not useful for servers or for situations when objects are cached and should be discarded when space becomes tight. I have now generalized the mechanism used in my MailArchiver (http://macos.tuwien.ac.at/Squeak/mailArchiver.html).

As an example setup is now:

   Smalltalk memoryHogs add: ArchivedMail

When space is low #freeSomeSpace gets sent:

	ArchivedMail>freeSomeSpace
		''Remove all cached text from my instances.''
		self allInstancesDo: [:m | m purgeText]

If freeSomeSpace fails to free enough memory - maybe because no memoryHogs have been registered - the old behavior (alert the user) is invoked."
& change set 2522...
"Change Set:		LowSpaceQA
Date:			18 August 2000
Author:			Dan Ingalls

Reverts the change to lowSpaceWatcher in update 2022.  This had caused low space due to large array allocations to fail because it caused repeated recursive retries, since the logic always thought there was enough space to try again.

Also a couple of simplifications along the way.

I plan to follow this with another update that restores the spaceHogs benefits without the current problems.
"
& change set 3094...
"Change Set:		238MemHooksRevised-go
Date:			4 October 2000
Author:			Georg Gollmann

Somewhere in the 2.9a upgrade stream the memory hogs mechanism was disabled (but not fully removed). This fileIn reintroduces it in a slightly robuster way."