Sublicensing

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri Aug 15 18:14:44 UTC 2003

As I mentioned in a message to the list about 30 hours ago, I spoke to a
lawyer and his advice was to refrain from creatively sublicensing squeak
so as to make our problems go away. His reasoning is that the "no less
protective" makes such attempts dangerous, because if the license we
pick (say, BSD) turns out to be less protective, then we'd retroactively
find ourselves to have been abusing Apples copyright.

Now, this lawyer is not a copyright/opensource expert, and it is
possible we'll find someone more confident about getting smart. But I
think we need to start planning on solving this problem by organizing
*and by coding*, rather than by PR, lawyers or licensing. I say this
quite sadly, because this will not be easy to do :-( OTOH, it could be
fun. Anyone care to design a new VM? :-)

We would be far ahead of the game if every Smalltalker that ever wanted
to share his code as widely as possible were to clearly license his code
under MIT, rather the hodge podge of "public domain", no explicit
license, "Look ma, I can write licenses, too!" and so forth we have now.
We're in the miserable position of having a culture that promotes and
values sharing, so that we have amazingly cool software we can use, but
doesn't have a clear free licensing culture to go with it, so very
little of it is really free.

I've heard that the public domain incantation is considered by some
lawyers to be unenforcable in the US, BTW.

Daniel