Ancient (1996?) Tablet PC and Squeak

David Faught dave_faught at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 18:43:54 UTC 2003

Tim Rowledge wrote:

>Alan Kay wrote:
>>
>> The copying and pasting sounds very tedious very quickly.

Yes, it does, but it may be easier than carrying the keyboard.

>> Duane Maxwell and his group at exobox did a great thing, which was
>> to run Mozilla as a Squeak plugin --

> It sort of ran underneath the Squeak display; the X server was munged
> to make hole to let the mozilla window poke through. Sounds
> horrible, seemed to be a leading cause of insanity in the people
> that worked on it, worked ok.

Along with the insanity drawback, this sounds terribly
platform-dependent, although the idea of using OLE on Windows to put
the browser inside of Squeak surely is, too.

> I think I'd prefer to see if there is any way to make mozilla
> render onto an external pixmap managed by SurfacePlugin asnd just
> blt that into the Display. Then the tricky bit is making sure input
> events for the mozilla window actually get there rather than being
> peeled off into Squeak. Think of it as  using the gecko renderer (or
> any other good html renderer) as a server.

But, in this case, don't I want the events to be handled by Squeak so
that Genie can interpret the pen input before it gets handed off to mozilla?