Sublicensing

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Fri Aug 15 22:19:28 UTC 2003

Alan Kay wrote:
> Hi Daniel --
>
> I forget what licence Apple is currently using for their opensource
> stuff, but I've been told it is like BSD. Could you have your lawyer
> look at it? It might be easiest to get Apple to relicense Squeak using a
> model they currently use, if it works OK for us. If this looks good, I'm
> happy to ask Steve to let us do it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan

Hello Alan,

 From previous list discussions, the Apple contact wasn't interested in
re-licensing Squeak under the APSL because Squeak is no longer an active
Apple project.

A couple of options would be nice if Steve would consider.

Rename the APSL for Squeak and make whatever necessary modifications for
such and call it something like the Squeak Community License.

Or simply free Squeak from Apple and release it under a BSD license
indemnifying Apple with the BSD language. Apple is familiar with BSD
license as it is the license under which they got their Darwin core.

Since Apple relatively has little to do with Squeak currently, I think
the BSDish option and freeing Squeak would be a nice gift from Apple to
the community. I think it would be of great benefit for Croquet also.

The most free option Steve would agree to would be nice.
Any of it could become a Squeak Community License. :)

Anyway, it would be of tremendous benefit to know where Steve stands on
this.

Just my 2 cents.

Jimmie Houchin