Qtopia Squeak + Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 + ROM 3.10 ? Should it work ?

Brian Keefer mgomes21 at cox.net
Sat Aug 16 03:57:10 UTC 2003

> "Stoffel, Andrew" wrote:
>
> I finally got around to trying this... and it doesn't work...
> on my Zaurus [Should it ?]
>
> The Qtopia version from:
>
> http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/zaurus/
>
> With the Dynapad image from Aaron Reichow & etc.
>
> - It starts up but since the Dynapad image doesn't show up
>   in the 'file picker' so I can't start it. (But that is
>   mentioned in the Jul 17th, 2003 messages about this so it
>   isn't a big surprise)
>
> - From a shell... I get a illegal instruction error AND the Squeak
>   VM just sits there waiting for me to pick out an image like
>   it does above (even though I can't see one)

OK, I just tried out 3.10, and ran screaming back to OpenZaurus. I
couldn't even get Sharp's official install to work (good sign there), so I
tried a minor derivative called "Cacko". As glitchy as OpenZ may be, it's
amazing what a leap back the Sharp system is. Enough rant.

I tried out both the Zaurus VMs on 3.10, and they were equally unusable on
my SL-5500. Trying to name an image on the command line gives the same
confusion to me, first the illegal instruction, then the file open dialog.
I can actually select an image, and have the image loaded. It displays in
landscape mode, half covering the bottom control panel, and extending up
two-thirds of the screen. Then, it locks up. Squeak doesn't listen to the
touchscreen or the buttons, and refuses to allow QTopia to do the same. I
can only power cycle it (or maybe remote log in, I never checked if ssh
was installed).

I'm now busy making amends with OpenZaurus.