Sublicensing

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sat Aug 16 07:57:44 UTC 2003

On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 11:20 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> 1.6 "Modifications" mean any addition to, deletion from, and/or change
>  to, the substance and/or structure of the Original Code, any previous
>  Modifications, the combination of Original Code and any previous
>  Modifications, and/or any respective portions thereof. When code is
>  released as a series of files, a Modification is: (a) any addition to
>  or deletion from the contents of a file containing Covered Code;
>  and/or (b) any new file or other representation of computer program
>  statements that contains any part of Covered Code.
>
> The clause "When code is distributed in files" does not apply
> to squeak. It's nicely formulated as "Project isFileBased ifTrue: []".

Sure it does. The platform independent part of Squeak is distributed as
3 files. The sources files and changes files contain source code. We
don't *edit* source code in files, but we do distribute it that way.

By my reading, (naturally, IANAL) applying the APSL to Squeak would
result in a broader definition of modification. The SqueakL only
considers additions of methods to existing classes to be modifications
of the original work. Under the APSL, new classes would also be
considered Modifications.

Colin