Sublicensing

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sat Aug 16 12:55:40 UTC 2003

Colin Putney wrote:
> In many cases
> we'll get responses like, "Sure, but Disney owns the copyright on
> everything I did between this date and that." That's fine. It whittles
> down the encumbered code a bit and ads to our knowledge base.
>
> At some point, between new code being free and older code being freed,
> we'll have a really clear set of core modules that we can take to Apple
> and/or Disney. I'm sure that better preparation on our part will make
> that negotiation easier.

Not Disney. Alan pointed out multiple times that all additions to the
base system are not Disney's. The "real stuff" done while SqC was at
Disney has never been released publicly. They very strictly
distinguished between modifications of the base system which were
published, and work building on that involving all kinds of shiny stuff
that Disney is famous for (*).

The great thing is that SqueakL allowed this! You _can_ do serious work
with Squeak under the current license. Otherwise Disney's lawyers would
have very much objected.

This whole discussion is very much a tempest in a teacup. To put it into
perspective: There is no problem whatsoever with providing downloads of
Squeak for Windows or Macintosh or even selling it. There is also no
problem with providing downloads for Linux (we will even have RPMs for
the next release!). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The only issue (apart from weltanschauung) is including Squeak in some
OS by default. I doubt Microsoft will do that. Neither will Apple. Not
even if we change the license to include a free chocolate bar for them.
;-) So the majority of users will have to download or buy Squeak by
themselves anyway.

However, Linux distros might include Squeak by default, and that is an
opportunity, because it should get us some publicity. We should work
onthat. Apple stated they won't release Squeak under APSL because they
are not actively involved anymore, so that discussion is moot.

I personally would like to have Squeak under a licence I can pretend to
understand, like the two paragraphs of BSD. If Alan could get Steve to
approve that, it would be great. But just fixing SqueakL to the extent
that OSI approves it (optionally FSF, too) would be sufficient, too.
Whatever we can get Apple to do. However, the status quo isn't as bad as
  is might sound in this thread.

-- Bert

(*) You can catch a glimpse at how pretty that stuff must have been by
opening the paint tool.