Dual licensing

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Aug 16 16:12:51 UTC 2003

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 01:42:11AM -0700, Colin Putney wrote:
> 1. Are we generally agreed that, all other things being equal, we want
> Squeak to be available under the MIT license?

In my view, the main benefits of the MIT license are its simplicity,
that it doesn't get in your way, and that you can relicense under any
license you want in the future.

I like some aspects of the GPL (but of course I'm not proposing using
it), such as the required sharing.  I like that GPLed code can't be
incorporated wholesale into a proprietary code-base.  This isn't
really an issue now, but could be in the future.  A license that
requires enhancements to be shared would be tricky to create, because
it's difficult to draw a line exactly where the modified core of
Squeak ends and the application begins.

Short version: MIT okay for now, some other license later if hypothetical
problems become real.

Joshua