SystemNavigation and deprecated methods

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Aug 16 16:30:33 UTC 2003

> > So in this sense, the use of mirrors is not at all what I
> > would consider a "natural" switch of perspective here.
>
> You could think about the "mirror" as the same Object, but
> from a different point of view. To make this analogy perfect,
> we would need a system were you can have different views of
> the same Object: That is, the view shouldn't change identity,
> it only changes what you see. The "mirror" would be a
> meta-view (all the meta-programming operations are visible).
> There could be multiple "user" views, too. e.g. a secure view for
> non-trusted parties.

Yes. This is exactly what I meant by saying that a combination of
Traits+Selector namespaces may be an interesting approach here.

> So I think the mirror is a pattern to work around the defect
> of not having a system with real Perspectives as first-class
> objects...

Yes. That's the way it felt to me - a (somewhat crude) workaround for
shortcomings of existing systems. Like I was saying, it feels like the wrong
solution to the right problem ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas