Ancient (1996?) Tablet PC and Squeak

David Faught dave_faught at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 21:35:27 UTC 2003

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 11:12:42AM -0700, David Faught wrote:
>> Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus wrote:

>> This is pretty much what I had in mind, except there are two clear
>> parts to it in order to replace the "native" pen application.  One
is
>> handwriting recognition and the other is an on-screen keyboard.
What
>> you are suggesting sounds sort of like a hybrid of the two.

>I'm not sure what you mean by hybrid, I'm not suggesting anything to
>do with a keyboard.  It would be an area to write on that would append
>each recognized character to the current clipboard contents.  As an
>example use-case, you could tap the 'clear' button, write a URL,
>go to your web browser, highlight the location field, and paste in
>the URL.

I was mistaken about the hybrid thing, reading a little too quickly,
seeing the part about adding buttons, and jumping to conclusions.
Sorry about that!

>I agree with Alan that such an approach would be unwieldy, especially
>if you have to right-click and select 'paste' from a menu.  Ugh.

>> Through a bit more thorough searching on the Web, I have now found
>> another promising application called ...  I'll
>> check it out as well.
>>
>> Maybe I'll start playing with voice recognition as well.  The tablet
>> has a built-in mic and speaker ...

Upon further review, I found that I was barking up the wrong tree, and
what I REALLY wanted all along was an on-screen keyboard.  This is a
much easier thing to build than handwriting recognition, and not too
bad for me as a user.  There are a few of them freely available, and at
least two of them fulfill my desire to have text entry capability
without carrying around a keyboard!!  I'm currently using Click-N-Type
to send this note - wirelessly from where I happen to be sitting with
just a tablet and comfortable pen in my hands!!