3.6 Full release testing (was Re: [BUG]? Upgrade to full imagescript behavior)

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Aug 17 17:18:56 UTC 2003

I agree with daniel. It is really important for 3.6 to have the same
appeal for beginners than 3.5.
As soon as we know that we can remove the packages having a full image
is great. While loading then
is already another step. We could even have a test that remove package
check what need to be checked (always easy to say it like that:)

Stef

On Sunday, August 17, 2003, at 06:26 PM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> [...]
>> provided on squeak.org, and the Basic release is available on the ftp
>> site (as with option #1).
>>
>> 3. Daniel's suggestion:  Keep just one update stream.  Add the 9
>> packages to the update stream now.  This becomes the Full release,
>> there is no separate Basic release, although there are "removal"
>> packages which should work to get you down to Basic.  At the beginning
>> of 3.7alpha, the 9 packages are removed again.
>>
>> Any thoughts on these?  My thoughts:
>>
>> The main problem with option #1 is that no one is really testing the 9
>> external packages right now to make sure that they work, so there will
>> probably be problems when the Full release is put together for 3.6.
>> But otherwise it's simple.
>>
>> Option #2 is a bit more complicated and splits the folks testing into
>> two groups, but is otherwise okay IMHO.
>>
>> Option #3 might work, although I'm not sure if everyone wants to go
>> without a Basic release.  Also, I'm not sure if we have working
>> removal
>> packages for all 9 extra packages right now if someone wants to strip
>> down to a Basic release.  (And this does sort of take us back to
>> stripping/shrinking to get a smaller image.  Although Daniel has a
>> point that the important thing is that the refactorings have been done
>> so that the removals should be simple.)
>>
>> At some point quite awhile ago I think Goran suggested just providing
>> Basic release which has the 9 extra packages bundled, and a button or
>> some simple mechanism in the image to upgrade to the Full release.
>> This is sort of a variation of option #1.  Although I tend to think
>> that we should just provide a Full image as part of the release
>> instead
>> (in addition to a Basic image if needed).
>>
>> Also, one other thing to think about is how things might be different
>> when we have SqueakMap 1.1, and we get to release 3.7final.  SM 1.1
>> will support versions and dependencies/configurations on top of that,
>> which solves some important problems, but I'm not sure if it resolves
>> the issue we're talking about here... at least not while we're still
>> chopping away at the image.  We'd still like a way for a largish
>> number
>> of people to test a beta Full image/configuration before it goes
>> final.
>>   Hmm, haven't thought about that enough yet.  But whatever we do for
>> 3.6, we should think about whether we'll be doing something different
>> for 3.7.
>>
>> (Enough rambling for now...)
>>
>> - Doug
>>

>> On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 05:22 AM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
>>
>>> First, my position is that as long as you're doing the release work,
>>> its
>>> your call. Now, my opinion is that an extra/early fork splits our
>>> testing effort, which will result in less quality/more
>>> fix-backport-work.
>>>
>>> I also don't think that adding all that stuff back/removing it is
>>> a