MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchDefault:with:

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 17 19:53:29 UTC 2003

> Where's the CPU being eaten?
>
> What's your OS and VM?
Win2K, VM is 3.5.1.

> On some VMs you'd see multiple mouse-move events at the same position. I
posted
> a simple fix that filtered out these duplicates, though it would of course
be
> best to get the VMs not to emit such events if possible.
>
> Did you try the FasterMouseOver (or whatever I called it) change set? I'd
be
> curious as to whether that helps your situation.

Ok, I tried this, and I've gone from about 45% CPU to 20%, spinning the
mouse over the world (only the world background, not over any morphs, not
even collapsed ones, just looking at the simplest case). Better, thanks Ned.
I get down to about 12% by not letting the hand send layoutChanged, but
let's pretend I didn't say that. Putting back the tentative change with the
transforms (I just saw Andreas's message) gets it to about 7%, which is
probably "good enough" and getting close to the margin of error with the
crude measurements I'm using.

Thanks everyone for taking a look.

> You can open a profiler from the World/Debug menu and see where the time's
going.

MessageTally: Don't leave self without it.