3.6 Full release testing (was Re: [BUG]? Upgrade to fullimagescript behavior)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Aug 18 09:15:28 UTC 2003

Michael Rueger <m.rueger at acm.org> wrote:
> Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > I agree with daniel. It is really important for 3.6 to have the same
> > appeal for beginners than 3.5.
> > As soon as we know that we can remove the packages having a full image
> > is great. While loading then
>
> Me three, I mean, I agree too.
>
> The absolutely worst thing we could do would be to make it hard for
> people (not just beginners) to use a full image.

Personally I think it is about making proper downloads available. Until
SM2 is here. And even later, when we have SM2 it would be nice to offer
a preloaded mega image.

I still maintain the idea that the ... "proper" Squeak release is the
"Basic" image together with a SM2 cache including loadscripts to produce
other larger images. Other "newbie" downloads can then be produced from
that.

> I also think that we need to figure out a way how to keep a full image
> updated, although we might run into problems there. The network rewrite
> is a good example where there were certain time periods where someof the
> packages were broken.
> At least the stable releases have to pass the integration tests (meaning
> a full image that works with the most uptodate packages).

This has been discussed earlier. Then we came to the conclusion that
"Official Squeak" will consists of a selection of packages. We also
decided that "for now" "Official Squeak" outer limits coincide with what
we call the "Full" release. In other words - the "Full" image has all
the official packages installed.

Again, when we have SM2 we will be able to freeze packages (by simply
saying that, ok - release "x.y" of this package is the one to be
included in the next Squeak release) one by one when we are getting
closer to a release.

> Michael

regards, Göran