3.6 Full release testing (was Re: [BUG]? Upgrade to full image script behavior)

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Tue Aug 19 06:38:46 UTC 2003

Doug Way wrote:
> Whatever we do, we need to handle the "classic SM1.0 problem" of not
> having package versions somehow for 3.6.
>
> I think your idea to duplicate the 9 packages with "XXX 3.6 release" may
> be the best option, since we'll probably need to change at least one of
> the packages in 3.7alpha before SM2 is ready.

So much complexity!  Why can't we just release a full and a base image
every time we put up a new image?

The updates should all still work fine when pulled into a base image or
a full image since they should only be touching the base image.  So you
can download whichever one you want and follow the updates until a final
release.

I don't understand why anyone would need to move a base image to a full
image through the update stream.  The two images are for different
audiences.  And the packages aren't getting updated through the update
stream so why would they be loaded through the update stream?

If you are working on the base image, you're going to get the base
image; if you're a user who wants the full image or someone who wants to
test it, you're going to get the full image (or load all the packages
using the same loadscript the person who made the full image used in the
first place).

It really feels like people are clinging to the update stream and making
things way more complicated than they need to be.  We've agreed to try
having two different images.  Maybe I'm missing something but I've been
watching this thread for weeks and nobody has said why they think we
need to generate the full image through the update stream.  The only
even vague argument that I've heard is that it will help get it tested -
but the whole reason we're taking the packages out is because people who
want the base image don't *use* those packages.  I'm not going to test
them just because they show up in my image briefly.  When someone wants
to test the full image, they can download the full image and do so (or
apply the loadscript).

What could be simpler?

That's my overly-lenghty 4 cents. :)

Julian