Sublicensing

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Aug 19 14:44:43 UTC 2003

Hi Göran,

> Again, and I am getting somewhat tired to repeat this: I am
> not talking about the Right or Wrong of the two licenses
> involved here. I am talking about the very fact that we
> have TWO licenses currently.

Okay, fine. So you talk about the fact. But what's your problem with it? It
seems to me that you haven't made it quite clear as to what your concerns
are. (of course, I am assuming that you _do_ have a problem with it or else
I think you wouldn't talk about it in such length; if you are merely
rambling please let me know ;-)

> So to be correct we need to change www.squeak.org - AFAIK it
> doesn't say anything about the Unix VM being under a different
> license, etc.

Please, what are you talking about? If you receive Squeak and, by doing so,
receive Ian's VM you are bound by SqueakL. If you wish to hack Ian's source
files (which represents a particular implementation of that VM) you are in
addition required to rename those files you hacked. I _really_ don't get
what you are saying here.

> Ok, now we are getting somewhere. So in fact you think we
> should have a different license for the VM ports/support code?

Err ... actually no ;-) I just went over exhibit A again and my memory about
the exact phrasing was slightly off.

> To me "Squeak" has always meant the image AND the available VM ports.

Sure. Noone said differently.

> But... :-) I am not talking about the merits of SqueakL etc.
> I am talking about the fact that we have a different license for
> the Unix VM port. Thus we have two licenses for "Squeak". See the
> above questions and continue from there.

I just don't understand your concerns/problems/whatever it is. SqueakL
requires you to make modifications, ports etc. available, but it does not
make any claims on whether there may be any additional restrictions or
responsibilities (except from being "no less restrictive" of Apple for
"modified software"). Ian is executing his rights _within_ SqueakL and I
don't see how you can say that there are "two licenses" given that the
restrictions are (practically speaking) irrelevant. You really need to
explain what your problems are before we can go any further here.

Cheers,
  - Andreas