Workspace and Morph/Object Mirroring

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Aug 19 16:16:34 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 08:54 am, Gary McGovern wrote:
> I've been trying to get back to Squeak for some time and haven't
> had the priviledge of using Croquet yet, but I think I'm getting
> there.
>
> I'd like to see an enhancement such as when an object/Morph is
> directly manipulated, that object and the messages and arguments
> are reflected in the workspace.
>
> So when writing a program one could switch between direct
> manipulation and writing code.
>
> Has anyone tried it ? How easy is it ?

If I were doing this, I'd consider wiring it to the undo mechanism.
That is:
- first make sure that all direct manipulation leaves a undo/(and
optionally redo) history.
- Then write a client to look at the undo list and generate code from
it.

Unfortunately, there are lots of ways to edit a Morph from the menus
that never get recorded in the undo list.

Alternatively, you could make something that understood how state
changes map to code, and then doing "diffs" from the original,
prototype object to your newly modified object.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com