Squeak on MacOS version identification?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Aug 20 10:35:17 UTC 2003

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 03:49:35PM +1200, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> I have Squeak running under MacOS 8.6.
> Smalltalk platformName = 'Mac OS'
> Smalltalk osVersion  = '860'

Thank you.

> The only implementor of #osVersion I can find is the one in
> SystemDictionary:  ^(self getSystemAttribute: 1002) asString
>
> Can/could (Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 1002) ever return something
> other than a string of digits?

Yes, it can. For example, on my Linux box it answers 'linux-gnu', and
on a Mac running Ian's VM, it might answer 'darwin6.6'.

Should it ever answer something other than a string of digits?  Yes,
because the string of digits is an artifact of the way MacOS reports
its version level, and may not make sense on other platforms.

A bit more consistency in how the system attributes are reported would
not be a bad thing, but I would not rate it as a high priority concern.
Perhaps just a swiki page to keep track of what the actual attribute
values are on the various platforms would be of some use?

Dave