Sublicensing

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Aug 20 16:23:41 UTC 2003

Daniel's page should be required reading before going further in this
thread.  It's only a couple of pages long!

	http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/squeakfoundation/103

One way we can reach some sort of consensus, is to edit this page until
it reflects something we are all satisfied with.

I've added a section on "who owns the code", in response to recent
discussion.  It is clear that Apple is the main owner to worry about at
this stage; everyone else is likely to be extremely agreeable about any
license proposal that the rest of us agree on.

I am mostly fine with the basic proposal as it is on there.  It boils
down to switching Apple's part of the code to APSL, and then trying to
switch everything else over to MIT over time.  This approach seems to
make everyone happy, assuming Apple gives us the requested switch and
that we figure out how to manage the bookkeeping.

I am not completely clear on how the license bookkeeping will work.  For
most things we can track the license that SqueakMap claims to apply, but
are there things other than packages we need to worry about?

Also, I'm still not clear that MIT is the best ultimate goal.  Is it
truly better than APSL?  Is it enough better that it worth rewriting
portions of Squeak that otherwise would get left alone?

One idea missing from the proposal, which I would like to be in there,
is for SqueakFoundation to get full rights to all Squeak code.  They
don't necessarily need to own the code, but it is helpful if, in the
future, SF has the right to relicense the code.  This is safer than it
may sound, because they can only make things more restrictive for
*future* versions of the code.  The current version of the code, at any
time, will be available under a free license and thus even if SF gets
taken over by evil people we can just start a new SF.

Finally, the proposal has nothing about the recent subthread about VM
licenses.  The VM licenses are not a big deal at the moment, but at the
least we should update the download pages to be clear about it.

That's all from the top of my head for the moment.  This proposal looks
like it can work.

Lex