Dynabook Usability

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Thu Aug 21 17:09:50 UTC 2003

Hi Gary --

At 2:48 PM +0100 8/21/03, Gary McGovern wrote:
>I'd like to question the usability of a single screen dynabook and similar
>devices.

It's really a matter of number of pixels in front of your visual
field (you've only got flat retinas so you only have a single screen
yourself). My wife has the Mac Cinema display and this gives her
quite enough pixels to do what you suggest should done with paper
plus computer screen. Nicholas Negroponte in the 70s showed how the
page flipping that people are used to can be nicely simulated, etc.
One of the several physical designs for the Dynabook from the past
was a lightweight HMD with "variable acuity display" along the lines
of McDonnel-Douglas' research (this HM display tracks your eyes and
puts 1M+pixels mostly into your fovea where most of your high quality
vision is done). This provides a virtual and seamless subjective
image.

BTW, Bill Atkinson's theory of the Dynabook was that it should be
just a virtual notebook of stacked virtual sheets that you could flip
and search and draw on in various ways. His first pass at a real
system along these lines was called Hypercard -- and I think this is
still a very good model.

So there are many ways of doing this. I don't think there is much
ultimate utility in staying with paper (BTW, I still do what you do
with a paper notebook, but view this as temporary until the human
factors can be done well enough), and I think there is a lot of
utility in trying to make "dynamic paper" (on one display or many)
really work.

Cheers,

Alan