[ANN][VM] Ephemerons for Squeak

John W. Sarkela sarkela at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 21 19:12:21 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I'm about 1k messages behind on the list, but this caught my eye.
Having been around when ephemerons were introduced at Digitalk, I'll
advance the following historical notes.

VSE had ephemerons prior to the ParcPlace merger. It was Digitalk
technology, not ParcPlace.

IIRC, George Bosworth was inspired by a paper on guardians. I don't
have the reference handy, but I believe that it was in an ACM SIGPLAN
publication. This would have been very early in the 90's.

(with regard to Nevin's statements about the ownership of VSE IP)
Seagull did not get all Digitalk/VSE technology, they only purchased
the VSE technology directly related to the PARTS for Java product. To
the best of my knowledge, Digitalk->PPD->Objectshare->Cincom have
always held the rights to VSE Smalltalk technology.

As for prior art, let us not forget the seminal work of Henry Baker.
Some of the most important ideas about garbage collection I trace back
to his ground breaking work.

Cheers,

John Sarkela
:-}>