[GOODIE] Method Annotations

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Aug 21 23:59:06 UTC 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> I would direct people's attention to Annotea (the link will be found near
> the top of the list on the left of the http://www.w3.org/ home page).
> The point is that
>     "annotation X is *visible* in the code when browsing"
> and
>     "annotation X is *stored* in the code"
> are different and independent propositions.

There is also a third proposition, which is that "annotation X is stored
in the CompiledMethod".

Roel's annotations are (as I understand it) invisible in the code, not
stored in the code, and not stored in the compiled method.

My annotations are visible in the code, stored in the code, and stored in
the compiled method.

Andreas' annotations are visible in the code, stored in the code, but not
stored in the compiled method.

I personally think visible in the code is a good thing.  Stored in the
code is probably, on balance, a bad thing - but that leaves the question
of what to do when filing out.

Stored in the CompiledMethod I'm of two minds about.  Once nice side
effect is that the annotations show up when you do a #sendersOf:; I find
this useful with VW pragmas, for example.  Of course this same effect
could be achieved, with more effort, in other ways.

Avi