[GOODIE] Method Annotations

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Aug 22 00:07:50 UTC 2003

On Thursday 21 August 2003 04:59 pm, Avi Bryant wrote:
> I personally think visible in the code is a good thing.  Stored in
> the code is probably, on balance, a bad thing - but that leaves the
> question of what to do when filing out.
>
> Stored in the CompiledMethod I'm of two minds about.  Once nice
> side effect is that the annotations show up when you do a
> #sendersOf:; I find this useful with VW pragmas, for example.  Of
> course this same effect could be achieved, with more effort, in
> other ways.

But this could as well be handled by whatever tools you're using to
view the code.

The annotations could be parsed, stored externally, and then removed
before being compiled.

And the default behavior of the browsers could be to display the
source with annotations inserted.

In fact, this could be done without even touching the browsers by just
making the class query for source code know about annotations.

For instance, a simple strategy might just record annotations by their
position in the source files, storing them in an external database.
This would give the advantage of letting you search across multiple
.sources and .changes files for particular annotations.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com