[OT]Big endian eggs

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Fri Aug 22 16:44:13 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:29:18AM -0700, Jack Johnson wrote:
> Alan Kay wrote:
>
> >Now, let's check the next part of this important knowledge. Who was it
> >that came up with the Swiftian terms "big- and little- endian" to apply
> >to computers? And roughly when?
>
> http://www.netrino.com/Publications/Glossary/Endianness.html
>
> "A few hundred years later, in 1981, Danny Cohen applied the terms and
> the satire to our current situation in IEEE Computer (vol. 14, no. 10)."

The first version of that article (1. April 1980) is available online:

ON HOLY WARS AND A PLEA FOR PEACE (IEN 137 Danny Cohen U S C/I S I)

http://www.csd.uwo.ca/staff/magi/personal/humour/Shaggy_Dog/On%20Holy%20Wars%20and%20a%20Plea%20for%20Peace.html

   Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de