Dynabook Usability

Brian Burton brian.burton at burton-computer.com
Fri Aug 22 21:28:41 UTC 2003

--On Thursday, August 21, 2003 01:06:39 PM -0700 kosh777 at yahoo.com wrote:
> If I ever talk myself into buying one of those things,
> I would do my 'main work' on the larger, higher-res
> monitor at eye-level with a full-sized keyboard. I
> then feel like I'm at a 'real computer'. But then I
> also have the tablet in my lap to 'take notes' as I
> would a spiral-bound. And all using a single computer.

I have a tablet and use it heavily for conceptual work.  I like it for hand
written notes and brainstorming in journal, web surfing, and email.  It's a
great adjunct to a desktop system when in the office and a handy note taking
machine when out and about.  Using it while wired to a monitor works fine but
makes using the pen much more awkward.

Coding in squeak with a pen could be a real trial.  The tablet pc's
handwriting recognition is dictionary based and has fits when confronted with
non-words.  Even the : in a message send would be highly problematic.

All the best,
++Brian

--
Brian Burton                            http://www.burton-computer.com
Burton Computer Corporation             Custom Java software development