Method Annotations

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Aug 23 19:38:04 UTC 2003

> I found an excellent example of how this can break your system:
>
> Morph class>>
> noteCompilationOf: aSelector meta: isMeta
> 	"Any change to an additionsToViewer... method can
> invalidate existing etoy vocabularies"
>
> *While* it is fileing in code this "sort-of-annotation"
> mechanism does somthing that reinitializes another, totally
> unrelated part of the system.

Correct. But the point here is *while* which relates to the issue about
handling these kinds of notifications synchronously or asynchronously
(that's the same issue we were discussing with Roel).

The other thing that's to mention here is that this problem would actually
go away if annotations were used correctly. If (for example) there would be
a way of adding fine-grained annotations along the lines discussed here to
some method, the large-scale reinitialization that happens in the above
(which is the cause of the problem) wouldn't even be necessary.

Put differently: Annotations would _solve_ this problem rather than creating
it ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas