[BUG] Socket: timed out getting data

alienhard at netstyle.ch alienhard at netstyle.ch
Fri Aug 22 22:04:40 UTC 2003

We are using a 3.5 image on linux, Debian, with a 3.4 VM and have the
following Socket problem accessing Postgres:

Unpredictably, Socket>>waitForDataUntil: which is called by
PGConnection>>next returns false and throws an error. This happens
immediately and not after the deadline of 45 seconds! The database runs on
the same machine which is very fast. On the development platforms we didn't
see this problem.

May the two Socket fixes for 3.6 which have been posted recently be
related to this problem?
Should we try to use the 3.6beta VM?

For us, this is a big problem now, because it is a productive application...
So, any help would be very very wellcome.

Adrian & Lukas

PGConnection(Object)>>error:
    self                a PGConnection
    aString             'timed out getting data'
--------
PGConnection>>next
    self                a PGConnection
--------
PGConnection>>receivePacket
    self                a PGConnection
    typeCode            nil
    packet              nil
--------
PGConnection>>nextEvent
    self                a PGConnection
    pkt                 nil
    noticeFlag          nil
--------
PGConnection(PGActiveObject)>>saProcessEventsUntil:
    self                a PGConnection
    newStates           #(#ReadyForQuery #ConnectionFailed)
--------
PGConnection>>execute:
    self                a PGConnection
    sqlString           'SELECT "id" FROM (SELECT * FROM (SELECT * FROM
table_attributevalue) AS t1 WHERE ("productid"=2886)...etc...