Pure translation and the rest

diegogomezdeck at consultar.com diegogomezdeck at consultar.com
Sun Aug 24 16:31:30 UTC 2003

Hi Folks...

I started to study the code behind m17n and mini17 and, as expected, I
getting confused ;-).

They are complex pieces of code and to fix/improve it looks not so easy for
beginners like me.

What I see is that we're paying an extra cost in complexity for things not
needed for every language.  What I mean is that MacRoman is enough for
English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, etc.  All the reported errors
about clipboard handling, non-English character typing (For example: I
can't type Á en mini17), etc are not problems in the stock squeak image.

My proposal is the following: Let's split m17n package in 2 sub-
projects, "pure translation" and "all the rest".

- Pure Translation: Translation of strings all over the image.  To say it
in a dirty way: "#asTranslatedWording and friends". The goal of Pure-
Translation is to produce a really simple framework (and probably a set of
tools) to translate an 3.5 final (or 3.6) image to any language "included"
in MacRoman.

- All the Rest: Basically all the changes related to use another character
set but MacRoman (Filein/Fileout, Clipboard, Strategies for typing, etc,
etc)

If you think this is a good idea I (and Small-Land members) can take the
responsibility  for the Pure-Translation part and I can produce an more
detailed proposal to discuss with you before starting.

What do you think? Yoshiki, Michael are you there?

Cheers,

Diego Gomez Deck
http://www.small-land.org